Enchiladas Suizas

My husband may have grown up in Guatemala, but his palate is definitely Mexican. Which isn't surprising considering his mom is Mexican and therefore cooked almost entirely Mexican cuisine. Since we've been married, I have tried to be intentional about incorporating Mexican-style dishes into our meal rotation. I am nowhere near the cocinera that my suegra is, but I have pushed myself to try recipes like enmoladas, arroz mexicano, and manjar.

Now that we have kids and are no longer living near my in-laws it is even more of a priority to include Mexican dishes in our weekly meal plan. I usually aim to make one or two things a week. A few of my favorite resources to find recipes are blogs (like Mexico in my Kitchen or Flan and Apple Pie) and The Mexican Slow Cooker cookbook. That is where I found the recipe I tried today for Enchiladas Suizas. We really enjoyed them, especially topped with some Mexican crema and guacamole, and I will definitely be adding this easy recipe to our menu.


Enchiladas Suizas

- 1 lb. cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded Chihuaua cheese
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- Salsa verde 

To serve
- Mexican crema
- Crumbled cotija cheese (if desired)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, stir together the chicken and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
3. Pour 1/8 inch of oil in a small frying pan and heat over medium-high heat. Fry the tortillas, turning once, until they start to brown around the edges but are still flexible, adding oil to the pan as needed between batches.
4. Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the chicken and cheese mixture and roll up. 
5. Place seamside down in single layer in baking dish.
6. Scatter the remaining cheese over the enchiladas.
7. Bake until hot*, about 10 minutes. Top with salsa, crumbled cotija cheese, and drizzle with crema to serve.

*The recipe states that for best results, "assemble the enchiladas with warm ingredients, bake briefly, and serve immediately."

¡Buen provecho!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Board Books for Bilingual Babies

Playing Games to Practice Spanish