The "Spanglish Method"


Whenever I hear about methods to raise bilingual kids, there are usually two popular options. The first is the One Parent, One Language method. As its name suggests, this method requires each parent to speak exclusively in his/her native language to the child. This is a common method among parents with different native languages. Another method is Minority Language at Home. For this method the parents commit to using the minority language within the home and the majority language when outside the home. Before my husband and I had kids, I always read about how important it was to choose a method and stick to it. That seemed logically and straight-forward ... until I had kids. Then I realized how difficult it was to be consistent in our method.

When our first son was born we were living in Guatemala. I mostly spoke English to him, and my husband spoke Spanish (in other words, the One Parent, One Language method). This worked pretty well until we moved to the United States. Since the majority language switched from Spanish to English, I was compelled to increase my son's Spanish input. My husband and I already spoke Spanish to one another, so I tried to start using Spanish with my son. As much as I believed in the need for consistency, it was so hard! My words came out all jumbled up as I tried to react in Spanish to his toddler antics, and I felt discouraged with my fluency level.

Enter the Spanglish method. Against all professional advice I'm sure, if I am honest, I normally speak a lot of Spanglish to our boys. My husband still speaks solely Spanish to them, and when he is home I typically speak completely in Spanish too. Yet during the day, I find myself switching often between the two languages. Half the time I don't even realize I have changed languages since the words flow freely from one language to another in my head.

I am sure at times it sounds something like this...

"Micah, es hora de comer. Ve a lavarte las manos...did you use soap? Let me smell them. Ok, está bien. Siéntate. Vamos a orar."

I try not to worry too much about my "Spanglish method" right now. Both boys seem to be on track in their bilingualism, and I make sure to supplement as much minority language exposure as I can (through books, tv. music, classes, etc.) I am hopeful that our conscious and committed effort to raise our children bilingually will overcome whatever inconsistencies may exist in our method.

¡Te toca! Your turn to share - what method do you use in your bilingual household?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 Board Books for Bilingual Babies

Playing Games to Practice Spanish

Enchiladas Suizas